Rediscovering your personal style after having a baby can be tough and overwhelming. Trust me. I know, I'm a new mom, and although I have a passion for fashion, I've had my fair share of days/weeks where all I wanted to do was live in my husband's tees. I often felt like it was overwhelming and intimidating to put together a fashionable outfit to wear , especially with all the physical changes going on with my body. But when I started feeling like myself again (around the time my son turned 5 months), I started befriending my old clothes again and altered my style to fit my changing body.
Don't get me wrong, there are days when I am in zombie mode and I cannot put together a decent outfit for the life of me. It's common in mommyhood, and you know what? That's OK ! We're tired and literally doing EVERYTHING in our power to keep our babies healthy, happy and fed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing sweats....just don't live in them. You'll feel like a new woman in a confident boosting outfit.
I mean, you're already stuck at home being puked on, spit on, and god knows when the last time you ran a brush through your hair was. So why not practice some self-care for your own sanity and put on an outfit that'll make you feel like you're invincible? It takes minimal planning if you can remember these tips:
1. Find a pair of jeans that fit. If you have to go up a few sizes, then so be it. I know it can sometimes be discouraging finding new sizes when your old jeans don't fit, but who cares! Your body did something miraculous and you should be extremely proud of yourself. Wearing the right pair of jeans for your body type will not only feel more comfortable, but will accentuate and flatter your body in the right way. I always opt for a dark pair of skinny jeans for my body type. Dark pants will always give an illusion of being slimmer and taller. Ask an associate which pair they can recommend for your body type, you've got nothing to lose.
2. The French Tuck. Thanks to our friends from the show QUEER EYE (my current addiction) , the french tuck term is now a thing! What does it mean exactly? It's simply tucking in half your shirt in the front to help elongate the look of your legs! I'm absolutely in love with this and definitely do it with my tees all the time. It's a simple thing you can do to look put together. Add a belt and accessorize!
3. Throw on a cute scarf! It's summer time and you're probably thinking..."Sarah, you're nuts!" I'm not talking pashmina scarves. I'm talking silk, or chiffon short scarves that you can tie around your neck as an added accessory! Throw on a cute blazer, a white tee, a pair of jeans and out the door you go!
4. Accessorize ! Jewelry is the best way to help bring your outfit to life! If you're in a rush and all you have time to throw on is a simple like a plain tee and and pair of jeans, why not throw on a gorgeous pair of flashy earrings? I'm loving the look of tassel earrings at the moment. They're fun, and very pleasing to the eye. If earrings aren't of you, why not throw on that gorgeous statement necklace that's been waiting to come out of your drawer? It'll add a nice touch to an outfit you're looking to jazz up. TIP: Don't wear a pair of flashy earrings, an oversized necklace and a huge cuff bracelet all together. Make sure you balance your pieces. When it comes to statement jewelry, less is more so pick your favourite piece and stick to one statement piece.
5. A red lip never hurt nobody. Sometimes a bright, fun lipstick color like red or fuscia can really put a look together. Don't put on a lot of makeup, just throw on bright color red or pink toned lipstick, some mascara, a hint of blush and you're golden!
6. Layer up. Sadly, fall is around the corner and summer will be over for us soon here in Canada. But on the flip side, I LIVE FOR FALL FASHION and all the layering that is involved with it! Layering clothes can definitely be challenging for some, but don't let that intimidate you. Play with textures, patterns and different kinds of fabrics. It's best to stay within 2-3 colors when layering your clothes to make it look cohesive. For starters, try layering a light sweater over a collared shirt. Slightly roll up the sleeves exposing the collared shirt sleeves and pop on your favourite pair of jeans. Once you get the hang of layering, you too will fall in love with the art of layering! Remember, accessories like jewelry always add a nice touch to outfits!
7. Get a new do. Whether it's coloring your hair a new shade, or hacking off a few inches, it's an amazing feeling to get a haircut! Something as simple as this can make you feel like a new woman.
In the end, it's all about how you feel about yourself. Wear whatever makes you feel good about yourself because there are no rules! Remember, you can't take care of another person if you don't take care of yourself first. You deserve some self care too mama!
Whether you have dry skin, oily skin, combination skin, sensitive skin or acne prone skin, it's crucial to always have a good skin care routine. I'm excited to share with you some of my well kept skin care secrets to having clear skin! Here are a few of my feel good skin care tips ! Take these into account for your day to day skin care regimen !
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I know you've heard it before, but I can't stress enough how important drinking water is for your skin! Did you know that water keeps your skin looking and feeling plump? It plays a huge role in getting rid of nasty toxins in your skin and also helps prevent acne! Drink up my friends.... water that is!
2. Make sure to find a good cleanser. When cleansing your face, it is important that ALL of the dirt and impurities are removed before bed. The only way to test a good cleanser is using toner after you've cleansed your face and seeing what's left behind on the cotton pad. Leaving any dirt or residue from your makeup or environmental factors can lead to breakouts! If you're on a budget, I recently a moisturizer that won't break the bank. Try CERAVE daily cleanser! My friend Katie informed me that it's much cheaper to purchase it at Costco! I've been using this cleanser for roughly 3 months and I absolutely love it. Dermatologists recommend it and it also contains ceramics with hyaluronic acid that helps keep your skin looking young and plump. You can't go wrong with an amazing cleanser that costs less than $11.00 !
3. Use a jade roller! I decided to purchase the jade roller 2 years ago when I saw one of my favorite fashionista use it in one of her videos ( @BagSnob ). I've been loving it since day 1 ! I've been rolling it on my face in the evening before bed and I truly feel like it has helped my skin look youthful! It helps with blood circuclation, de-puffs eye bags and as well as helps the absorption of my serums and night creams. How to use a jade roller : gently roll over entire face and neck once your've put on your serum in a gentle back and forth motion. I found my jade roller on Amazon. You can also find inexpensive ones on Ebay :) TIP : Keep your jade roller in the fridge! The cool feeling does wonders on your skin! Try it, you won't regret it.
4. Apply your moisturizer with a flat foundation brush. I know, I know, this is an extra step you really don't want to do when you're in a rush. But trust me! Your skin will thank you in the long run! All that pulling that's being done by your finger tips is only causing more unnecessary WRINKLES. The brush will gently move the moisturizer around your face without all that added pulling.
5. Maskin and relaxin. It's really important to do a face mask on your skin at least once a week. It helps unclog your pores, hydrate the skin, cleanse the impurities left behind on the skin and it is very relaxing! Do yourself a favor and mask it, light up a candle and pour yourself a big glass of wine. You deserve it!
6. Moisturizers with SPF. Sunscreen plays a huge part in preventing skin care damage and wrinkles! Without using sunscreen for even a year is enough to cause major sun damage. It's important to find the right facial moisturizer with sunscreen in it for your skin type. Ask the gals at the counter which one will best suit your skin type! If you love to bake in the sun, maybe it's best incorporate a few "fake and bake" days so you don't add unnecessary damage to your skin. Make sure you're dousing your face with SPF moisturizer during the hot summer days at the beach! Some of you may read this and still won't bother buying a moisturizer with SPF in it... lol. Well, can you at least purchase a foundation or face powder that has SPF in it? Maybe a BB Cream or a CC cream with SPF in it? Hate me now, but you'll thank me later.
7. Massage your face. When putting on your daily moisturizers, very gently massage your face with he tips of your fingers in circular motions. This will help circulate the blood flow that gives you that natural glow! It also drives oxygen to that area which plays a key role for of anti aging.
I hope you all enjoyed my skin care tips! Please give me the ins on some of your skin care secrets, I'm always on the hunt for ways to better my skin care regimen!